Keeping Your Teeth Healthy During The Holiday Season
By G. Brooks Haney, DDS on December 03, 2018
The holidays are here again, and calendars are filling up with festive family gatherings and parties. Along with the joy of celebration comes the fun of indulging in desserts and an assortment of sweet drinks, which can take a toll on your teeth and land you in the Dentist's seat.
Eating sugary foods cause naturally occuring bacteria in the mouth to create acids that attack tooth enamel, making your teeth vulnerable to decay, cavities, and gingivitis. If holiday celebrations have you snacking on sweet foods throughout the day for days or weeks on end, your teeth are in danger of becoming damaged- those acids form every time you eat, and they stick around to attack your teeth.
You can have your cake and eat it too!
You don't need to give up sweets to protect your teeth this holiday season. Simply employ the following tips.
- When you are out, keep a travel-size oral hygiene kit with you in your car or handbag. Brushing after you eat while out and about not only protects your teeth but deters you from further eating, which may result in less snacking and less potential for damage to your teeth.
- Eating sweets as part of a well-balanced meal is better for your teeth. The more you eat, the more saliva your body produces, which means more food rinsed off your teeth and more harmful acids neutrilized.
- Foods that stick to your teeth- sweets, treats, and even nutritious foods such as raisins and dried cranberries- can be very damaging. Avoid consuming large amounts of these foods; instead choose food that is more easily washed away.
- If you do not have access to your toothbrush or mouth wash, rinse your mouth out with water after every meal or snack.
- Chew sugarless chewing gum after each meal or snack to help remove food particles from your teeth.
If we don't see you before the end of the year, have a wonderful Holiday season and we look forward to seeing you after the New Year!
“I can't say enough good things about Dr. Haney and his staff! They truly care about their patients and they are the best that I've ever experienced.... I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to Dr. Haney and his wonderful staff!” Vivian S.